Thursday, March 20, 2008

My friend Kris

Now it is time for me to say a little bit about my friend Kris, to whom the March bag is dedicated. Kris and her husband Dave moved next door to us in 1987. However, Kris and I did not develop a deep friendship until several years later, when we formed a writing group together. We used to meet weekly, sharing our different creative efforts. I knew Kris was an artist, but I grew to appreciate her incredible talent, vision, and creativity through the writers' group. She has painted beatufiul pictures, created strong and stunning scultpures, written provocative and lilting poetry and essays, and put together amazing collages and collage books. I am always fascianted by how Kris sees the world through her artist's eyes and what leads her to create the masterpieces she has shared with me. My favorite of her creations is a set of dolls, cut out of African fabric, dangling in a dancing posed, from the ceiling. Each carries something unique in her hand.

In addition to being an artist, Kris is a dedicated teacher or writing, art, healing and the merger of these areas. She gives generously of her time to students in classes, workshops, and in many indepent study projects. Kris also gives her time and energy to the Sexual Violence Center, where she helps survivors heal and face their lives after devastating trauma. What is amazing about Kris is that she does so much for others, gives so much of herself, and yet deals with many severe physical challenges in her own life. It is hard to believe that she often feels so much pain she can harldy move, becuase when she does come out into the world she is so cheerful and warm to everyone she meets. But I know behind the smile is the memory of fatigue, sore muscles, and a body that continually limits and challenges her.

I have learned a termendous amount from my friend Kris, and apprciate what she has given me through her friendship over the past years. Every few weeks we try make a point of having a soy latte together so that we can chat and catch up on our activities, families, and lives. I always feel uplifted and refreshed after one of these coffee dates.

I think you can see why I wanted to donate a quilted bag to the Sexual Violence Cneter in honor of my dear friend Kris. I hope someone bids for and buys this lavender floral bag at the silent auction fundraiser this spring.

No comments: