Monday, March 17, 2008

The beginning of a healing bag

Here are the two fabrics that are being used on the outsdie of the bag I am mkaing this month. This bag will be a healing bag, to be donated to the Sexual Vionence Center's fundraiser. I cut the two main fabrics into little squares and am sewing them to the batting and lining using a "quilt as you go" method.
In the photo below you can see the white flowered fabric that is the lining and the lavender fabric (big square on the left) that is the bottom of the bag fabric. I enjoyed cutting out all the pieces in advance and following the directions one step at a time. The last several bags I made have been more of a "design" as you go, more improvisational. As usual I have noticed some glitches. It seems that the bobbin thread is blue and not off white as I had thought, so the resulting quitling on the lining shows up noticeably. This blue thread will also show up as some extra quilting on the outsdie of the bag.
The bag is made by assembling long quilted rectangles that have
lining on side (the white flowered fabirc) and the squares on the other side (the checkerboard pattern). The directions say that the pattern is very user friendly and so far, so good. I am on spring break this week and hope to finish it tomorrow!


No comments: