Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My friend Kathryn

I have not written much about Kathryn yet, just about our friendship. Kathryn is a beautiful, blond, Norwegian, native Minnesotan. She has bright blue eyes and a warm smile. She is one of the warmest, friendliest people I have ever known. Kathryn lights up any gathering. In addition to the sparks of light she seems to give off, she is an incredibly bright, interesting, and accomplished woman. Kathryn has degrees and training in speech pathogology, special education, early childhood education, and administration. She has also studied business. Kathryn loves to read and we were once in a book club together. We have fond memories of the year our book club decided to read Russian masterpieces. We were both well into Anna Karenina when we gave birth to our twins. Kathryn and her husband Tom are patrons of the arts: they attend concerts of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and performances at the Guthrie Theater. They also enjoy our local sports and regularly attend Gopher basketball games. Kathryn loves the outdoors and has hiked in the Grand Canyon and many parts of the world (such as New Zealand).
She and Tom love to travel and when they visit a new place, they manage to see and do more there than I knew was possible. Kathryn also gives of herself in many ways to the people around her, at work, at her church, to her friends, and of course, her family. Sometimes I wonder if she even sleeps at night, she is so busy. She recnelty returned form her second "good will" trip to Cuba where I am sure she warmed many hearts and spread good will. Can you see why I feel so fortunate to count Kathryn as one of my dearest friends and favorite people? I dedicate this bright, woven Mexican bag to her and to our lasting friendship.

No comments: