Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My friend Carol

The two September Farmers Market bags I just finished are dedicated to my friend of 33 years. I met Carol before I even moved to Minneapolis to begin graduate school. Back in those early years in the Twin Cities she was one of my first and most constant friends. I remember many evenings at her cheerful and colorful home eating homemade lasagna, bread, and cookies.

When I was pregnant with my twins, Carol loaned me all her hand me down baby clothes and paraphernalia since we had no money to buy baby things. She used to visit me often when I was home with the babies, offering friendship, support, and encouragement as I struggled to deal with parenting two difficult babies.

Later in life after admiring Carol's beautiful quilts for years, I was inspired to learn quilting. Carol has been a great teacher and mentor in this area ever since.

Carol is a gifted and creative quilter who is known for the brightly colored fabrics she uses and her gorgeous, one of a kind quilts. She has long been making house quilts such as this one which won a prize at the annual Minnesota Quilt show a few years ago. Whenever I see brightly colored fabrics I thick of Carol, and even have a big plastic bin of fabrics in my quilt studio labeled "Carol Colors."

Carol has a big heart and an incredible capacity to provide care and comfort to people through her friendship and endless supply of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Even when dealing with family and health challenges in her life, she remembers my birthday and anniversary with a beautiful hand made card and a plate of her famous and freshly made cookies.

When my husband andI were looking for a place to live and start a family, Carol suggested the Linden Hills/Fulton neighborhood that we now live in. She has sent her sons to the local primary school and High school and has taught and been involved in Southwest community education for many years. Therefore, it seems fitting to dedicate these bags to her, and I hope they raise some funds for our shared neighborhood, even if they are not made in Carol colors!

No comments: