Sunday, July 27, 2008

My friend Barb

Now that I have given the July bag to Barb, it is time to say a little bit about her. I met Barb 28 years ago, just after I was married. Michael and i were living in a duplex near Lake Calhoun and I was an avid runner. A friend from New York, Susah, was visiting us and she introduced to me to Barb, whom she had net in graduate school, and who lived in my neighborhood. I was told that Barb was a marathon runner, so I was intrigued. I think we made a date to run together the first time we met, and soon after we became good friends. We ran together at least once a week and Barb encouraged me to try longer distances, getting me to do a 10 mile run. While we ran, we talked about our lives, our friends, our jobs, and our passion for cooking and good food. Barb introduced me to the neighborhood food coop which I promptly joined. Once a month we would volunteer there together, talking the entire time that we cut, weighted, and labeled cheeses. . We never seemed to run out of things to talk about.

A few years after meeting Barb, I gave birth to twins, and Barb became their official godmother. Soon after she fell in love and married Lon, and I was, a bridesmaid in her wedding. Over the years our friendship has grown and deepened, as well as experienced some challenges. We have shared many life events, celebrating together, and also helped each other through difficult times. During the year of my vision loss and eye surgeries Barb was always there for me, and even encouraged to me to get a second opinion when facing a risky surgical procedure. Thank goodness she did, because the second doctor advised against it.

Barb seems to know everyone in the Twin Cities and wherever we go together, she aways runs into someone she knows. She also has lots of family in town and gives so much of herself and her time to her family, especially "the elders": her mother, mother-in-law, and uncle. She hosts all the major holidays at her house and thinks nothing of cooking for 30 at a time. She is also a very giving person who devotes her time to many good causes and programs.

She is a dedicated, highly skilled, and hard working professional, is extremely frugal, and is a very principled, ethical, and selfless person. I admire her, learn from her, and value her as a friend. I was delighted when she nominated a school for the deaf for one of my bags of the month, and I hope the Farmers Mare kt bag I donated brings in a good contribution to this important educational program. This bag was made in honor of my long time friendship with Barb.

No comments: