Thursday, June 12, 2008

Selecting fabrics for the June bag



Here are some fabrics I am thinking using for my June bag. You can see the photo that was transferred to fabric and some lovley hand dyed fabrics around it. I might use a little bright yellow to pick up the sun, a pinkish fabric, and a very dark blue or purple. I am not yet sure of the style I will use.

I think I may frame the photo in a narrow bright fabric, maybe yellow. Then put strips around that of a darker fabric, maybe with a different color square at each corner, or a different strip around the top and then use that for straps.

I don't have it planned yet, I am just playing with the fabrics to see how they go together. I have not worked with hand dyes very much. I took at class at the Minnesota Quilt show 8 years ago and made a wall hanging with hand dyes. I really like it but never quilted it. It is in my stack of unfinished tops that I plan to finish. The fabrics have a soft, thick feeling to them. I think they will make a nice bag. I will probably quilt them to a batting, then make a lining to go inside. Maybe I'll use a printed fabric for the lining. I'll see if I can even include an inner poicket.

Meanwhile, I ordered some matelasse placemats that were made in Morocco to make some quick and easy quilted bags. They come if four colors and I plan to make one bag of each color, using a print fabric to make an outer pocket on each. I may try to give them to Rebecca's bookstore to sell and keep the money.

So I haven't begun to measure, cut, pin or sew yet. But the ideas are there. I hope to get started on the cutting next week.

No comments: