Friday, June 20, 2008

The June bag is finished!






I had some free time yesterday and today and got to work on designing and sewing the bag for my friend Debra. After much deliberation, I selected pink, lavender/blue, and plum fabrics. I used a type of Log Cabin patter to surround the Photo, after first framing it with a dark indigo. All the fabrics are soft, think Hand-yes. I made the back of the bag all on fabric, the plum one.

I quilted the non photo fabrics with a flowery petal fabric, using a variegated purple thread. I like the way it came out. I was going to make the handles pinks, but cut the fabric wrong for the second handle, which pointed me to using the plum color for one handle. I like the effect of two colored handles.


Above, you can see the quilted back of the bag and the pink and plum straps.
The assembly went together pretty well but I had my little problems always. Despite careful measuring the lining was just a little too small. Things like that.


For the lining, I had bought a new batik fabric on an outing with quilt friends yesterday to a wonderful quilt shop called Blue Bamboo. I found a great fabric that had plums and pinks that went well with the hand-dyes.
Next, I am going to fill the bag for Deb. I'll write about that and about her next.

No comments: