Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Starting to plan the May bag of the month

The bag for May is going to a Virginia Woolf bag. This is one of my favorite photos of Virginia. I spent a year reading her books in high school and especially loved Mrs. Dalloway. A few years ago when the book The Hours was published I loved it, becuase it included Viriginia and Mrs. Dalloway as characters. I am making a Virginia Woolf bag to give to Rebecca's bookstore for their annual fund raiser this summer.
Rebecca works at In Ohter Words (inotherwords.org), a non-profit feminist bookstore in Portland, Oregon.
I am thinking of using this photo on the outside of the bag, so I just printed it on cloth. I like to use Printed Treasures fabric sheets to transfer photos to cloth on my printer.

When Rebecca was home in March we picked out some delicate floarl fabrics to use in making this bag, but I hvaen't begun to plan a pattern yet. It will be floral, with a few coordinating fabrics. I already have plans of what to fill this bag with: some Virginia Woolf books (which Rebecca will donate), a teacup and some British tea, a journal and a pen. My neighbro Kirs already volunteered to make a journal to put in the bag!

I am thinking of putting a small border around the photo of Virginia, and then setting this in a patchwork design of sorts. I'll have to play with fabrics to see what pattern will look best. I'll probably make the front and back the same, and then use a simple floarl lining.
OK, stay tuned. I may try to work on this tomorrow.

No comments: