Friday, August 8, 2008

August bag and more

I actually made the August bag in July because I knew I would be busy or traveling much of August. So here it is! it is a second farmers market bag. This time I used a colorful citrus fabric, made a big roomy bag, and did not quilt it, just lined it. The bottom is a bright print of green limes, the top and handles are a fabric of lemons. The inside lining is a darling little print of different vegetables. I only placed on item in this bag: a new cookbook called Minnesota Home Grown, a cookbook about local chefs and recipes. It has gorgeous photos and enticing recipes.



I gave this bag to Kathryn to take up to Camp du Nord to contribute to their silent auction. This bag was donated in memory of her son Danny who died at the age of 12 and who loved Camp du Nord. Kathryn and her husband Tom go every summer and help out in a variety of ways, such as teaching people how to use kayaks. I think she is there this week and hope someone like and bid on the bag.
I am heading to Ireland for a vacation with my husband so I won't be posting for a while. I will be on the lookout for bags and fabrics. Last year when we were there I met a weaver on Clare Island who gave me many of her beautiful handwoven fabric scraps. I made two tiny quilts from them.
Last week I was at a conference in Denver and my colleague Rob gave me a bag of fabric scraps from all sorts of vintage fabrics used by movie companies making period films. I think some of them will end up in a bag.

When I return from Ireland and get over jet lag I will start on a September bag to be donated to a fundraiser for my neighborhood fall festival. I am starting to think about that one already.


No comments: