Thursday, January 24, 2008

The first bag is done!




Here is my first bag. I tried to follow the Grandma Lena pattern, but I diverged.


First, I wanted to use precut blocks from the orange and purple wedding quilt I am making my son and future daughter in law. I tried different arrangements of the squares, and finally decided to center a square on each side of the bag, and put a contrasting square on each end, so only half is shown. You can see the layout below. Chose a fabric that had orange and purple for the base and for the two straps. I choose a dark purple with orange dots for the lining (shown in the third picture). I made a full lining, rather than just a part lining, like Lena made. I did not do any quilting becuase I wanted to do something pretty quick and easy. It took just about one hour and that incluced some seam ripping when I sewed the wrong sides together.


This photo shows the lining.

The final dimensions are about 14 1/2 inches winde by about 8 inches high. I was going to make a smaller version, based on one square for each side of the bag, but thought that owuld be too small.

Now, who will I give this first bag too? I think I'll give it to Paula, my future duaghter in law. Its made from the same fabrics that will be in her wedding quilt. It is small enough to be a little purse or to carry a few things to class (she is enrilled in an MBA program at UNC). Or, she can use it as a gift bag, putting a gift in it to give someone. Paula and my son Harlan are coming to visit in ealry March so I will give it to her then. I


No comments: